Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Giant Human Skeletons Found at Hopewell Geometric Earthwork in Chillicothe, Ohio

Giant Human Skeletons Found at Hopewell Geometric Earthwork in Chillicothe, Ohio






L'abeille do la Nouvelle- Orleans, November 15, 1898

UNEARTH SKELETONS
Interesting Discovery by Street Graders at Chillicothe, Ohio
Bones of Prehistoric Warriors Are Unearthed - Belong to the Race Which built the Big Mounds
Were Giants in Size
    Three skeletons of prehistoric warriors have been unearthed in Chillicothe, Ohio.  It was while cutting down and grading some streets in the eastern portion of the town that the bones were brought to light, and their discovery has been received with the greatest of interest.  Ages and ages ago a great entrenchment was erected on the west bank of the Scioto river by the mound builders.  It consisted of two circles and a square, joined by a passageway. The smaller circle was 800 feet in diameter, the larger one was 1720 feet and the square contained 27 acres of land. The walls encircling this great space were 40 feet high and nearly as thick at the bottom.  It must have required almost inconceivable labor to throw up those mighty walls with the implements then in use, but within a radius of a few miles no less than five of these great fortifications, [Ceremonial Centers]all exactly the same shape and size, were erected, and traces of them still exist.
     In 1833 E. G. Squier and E. H. Davis visited the county  in the interest of the Smithsonian Institution and made a special study of these great works.  After a series of careful surveys they found that the fortifications had been laid out with mathematical exactness, that the circles were perfect circles and the squares perfect squares.  They found, moreover, that the five entrenchments were all precisely the same size, the two facts together, indicating the mound builders had knowledge of engineering.  The great antiquity of the work is shown by the fact that it was built before Paint Creek flowed into the Scioto at that point, which it did centuries ago, before diverting to its present coarse.  A portion of the large circle was washed away when the creek began flowing into now what is its old bed.  The river has also encroached upon the square.
   The skeletons which have been unearthed where this fortification once stood are of unusual interest.  the first was found just outside the smaller circle. It was found in a sitting posture, with its knees drawn up to its chin.  Beneath it was a stone platform, on which were the vertaebrae of a snake and other totems. The skeleton was that of a man at least seven feet high and the skull was 3/4 of an inch in thickness.  The other two skeletons  were found lying outstretched, with their heads towards the west, and were not as large as the first one.  Other interesting finds will likely be found as the investigations continue.