Onondaga: Reminiscences of Earlier and Later Times, 1849
"Near the west bank of the creek, was an extensive Indian burying-ground, where skeletons have frequently been disinterred and are occasionally to this day-two having been exhumed during the past year. At the time the wet locks were constructed in Syracuse, in 1819, over one hundred were taken up. In excavating the canal for the red mill, on the east bank of the creek, several skeletons were found. In 1843, one of extraordinary size was disinterred; one of the lower bones of the leg being set beside the limb of a tall man, reached far above his knee. The skull was comparatively large and the jaws were surrounded with a full set of double teeth, all around, They were perfectly sound, covered with a beautiful
enamel of the most perfect whiteness."